Home » Server Options » Multitenant » Oracle 12c Multi Tenancy -Data Separation (Oracle Database 12c Enterprise Edition Release 12.1.0.2.0 - 64bit Production)
Oracle 12c Multi Tenancy -Data Separation [message #663170] Wed, 24 May 2017 11:39 Go to next message
magnify
Hi All,

I need your advice on best approaches to separate data in multiple tenants . We have recently moved to Oracle 12c from Oracle 11g and serving multiple clients. So planning to host each client as different tenant. Right now all the clients data resides in one schema. there are hundreds of tables and data is spread across everywhere in tables. Just wanted to know if anyone of you have faced similar issue and how did you approach the problem. As of now I am trying to create delete scripts for each table and not sure if this is correct approach or not. Please let me know if I am not clear in explaining my question and would provide further details.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks
Re: Oracle 12c Multi Tenancy -Data Separation [message #663172 is a reply to message #663170] Wed, 24 May 2017 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Why multi-tenant, why not multi-schema (which is free)?

Re: Oracle 12c Multi Tenancy -Data Separation [message #663174 is a reply to message #663172] Wed, 24 May 2017 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
magnify
Thanks For your reply, there are two reasons for us to go for multi tenancy :

1) Security, Most of the clients are public traded companies, we want to ensure utmost security
2) Some of the clients are very big ,others are small, we want to divide resource accordingly.

Thanks
Re: Oracle 12c Multi Tenancy -Data Separation [message #663177 is a reply to message #663174] Wed, 24 May 2017 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

1) There is no more or less security in multi-schema than in multi-tenant
2) There is no difference in resource consumption between multi-schema and multi-tenant. (If you mean space (as you told about "big") then what if the difference if the tablespaces are in several databases or a single one?)

Re: Oracle 12c Multi Tenancy -Data Separation [message #663184 is a reply to message #663177] Wed, 24 May 2017 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
magnify
rational behind this might be to sale it as 'SaaS' . As i said, some of the clients want more resources ( more Core,processing power etc) whereas others like to use lesser resources.
they will be charged seperately. other reason is the compliance as clients want their own DBs rather than sharing the data with other clients.

I would like to differ on point you made on the security. One grant here and there in multi schema architecture
and you will end up providing those grants to all schemas whereas with multi tenancy, you can avoid that. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Being said that, I am not the decision maker and architects in the organization have already made the decision and I am assigned the task to separate out the data. Your help in suggesting some approaches might be beneficial for me.

Thanks

[Updated on: Wed, 24 May 2017 12:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle 12c Multi Tenancy -Data Separation [message #663187 is a reply to message #663184] Wed, 24 May 2017 12:50 Go to previous message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator

Quote:
rational behind this might be to sale it as 'SaaS' . As i said, some of the clients want more resources ( more Core,processing power etc) whereas others like to use lesser resources.
So what is the difference between multi-schema and multi-tenant?

Quote:
other reason is the compliance as clients want their own DBs rather than sharing the data with other clients.
With multi-schema you do not share more the data than with multi-schema.

Quote:
One grant here and there in multi schema architecture
and you will end up providing those grants to all schemas whereas with multi tenancy, you can avoid that.
I don't see what you mean.
You grant privileges to users depending on their needs on data, this is completely independent of the storage and instance architecture.

Quote:
Being said that, I am not the decision maker and architects in the organization have already made the decision and I am assigned the task to separate out the data. Your help in suggesting some approaches might be beneficial for me.
Create a schema for each client, copy the data on each client tables then export/import.
This is how I'd do it.

Previous Topic: Flex Cluster, what is exactly model architecture
Next Topic: Refresh exisitng PDB from local PDB
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:51:17 CDT 2024